Monday, December 27, 2010

Just a spoonful of Cinnamon

Febreeze seemed like an answer to my prayers. A bottle of miraculous scented liquid that not only removed odors from the air but, also from fabrics. But, this product soon became my own personal nightmare. Every time I used it, I would begin to sneeze and itch. I desperately wanted something to freshen my home so I began using those cone shaped pop-up gelled air fresheners. Those two either dissolved too quickly or left a nice round stain on my tables.

Not too long ago, I read an interesting article about the air freshener industry. How much money the market makes without having to list the ingredients in their products on their labels. Not knowing what was in them made me a little nervous to say the least. Only after reading further did I learn that these same air freshening products sometimes contain and release several potentially harmful chemicals into the air along with a scent. They also may contain chemicals that block the sensors in our noses from being able to smell fowl odors to begin with! How scary is that?

I went on the hunt for a natural way of freshening my home without the use of unknown chemicals. Here is what I found and it works better than 20 store bought air fresheners.

Recipe 1
Heat a pot of water on the stove until boiling.
Add a dash of Cinnamon, a cinnamon stick broken in half, cloves, and vanilla extract.
Turn off the heat and allow the natural vapors to fill the house.

Recipe 2

Heat a bowl of water in the microwave with at least five drops of pure Lavender essential oil. Again, allow the natural vapors to fill your home. The intensity of the smell will surprise you. It will last for hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment